04 September, 2011

Another Music Blog?

Yes... another One!

But Here is What Not to Expect on this Blog

My definition of music will beg to differ from the Melody, Harmony & Rhythm perspective. In other words, we will not be exchanging views on Beethovens 5th here.  (Sorry, classical heads. Its just not that kind of party)


So then, am I going to be doing album/song/artist reviews and recommendations?
  • Does my big idea for this blog revolve around constructing  those endless series of "official" top 10, 20, 50,100 lists? (eg. Top 10 songs every man should have on his iPod ..and by the way click on this link to nicely-priced iPods... Top Zillion songs of the 80s.... but hey, remember to check out these cheap flight tickets)
  • Is the agenda to  promote my own music..? or that of some obscure Indie Punk Rock band ? or some  wanna-be raggae singer who also happens to be my best friend?.. or some "up-n-comming" female neo-soul screamer who (among other things!) I'm acting as manager for?
No, No.. and Never. Again, its just not that kind of party!

 Here,  My Friends, is What to Expect On this Blog
A-not-so-direct definition of music. Music will be used as metaphor. A point of departure to discuss adult life themes. Consider the following quote:


"Many  people die with their music still in them. Why is this so? Too often it is because they are always getting ready to live. Before they know it, time runs out " ---- Oliver Wendell Holmes


Notice what the word "music" contributes to the meaning of the quote. Note the position of the word "music" in this quote.  If we replace it with words like "life" or "dreams" or "ideas" or "energy" or "mojo"; won't the resulting quotes still make sense?


I think everybody has "music" inside. I think so because I feel  the  "music" that I have inside me and I am one of those people who honestly (and perhaps, naively) believe that deep down, we are all the same.


Up until this point, I have been delaying my "life's song" and postponding the performance of my "music". Up until this point, I have always been "getting ready to live". In recent years, a series of events including very much, the entering of a very special somebody in to my life that has forced me to realize that the time is now.


I realize now that rehearsal time is over and that I am already on the stage in front of a waiting audience. So here I am, at the center of this little stage of mine. I know I have something to say. I know it would have to be said through the metaphor (and sometimes, medium) of music. But that's all I know. Perhaps, that's all I need to know at this point. Things have a way of falling into place once you start taking the proper actions.


"Life is one grand, sweet song. So start the music!"    ----Ronald Reagan                                                    

So without further ado, I am saying ..Welcome, my friends, Welcome.
I know that now that our paths have crossed you WILL enrich my life in some way and vice versa. I promise sincerity. I promise to stay committed to  this open-ended dialogue that I have initiated with you. I promise to always accept feedback (even when it comes in a red envelope )

Welcome. 

PS. Questions, objections, modifications, suggestions, recommendations and all types of comments are hereby invited.

4 comments:

  1. You write what you think, you mean what you think and you feel what you mean...keep on being true to yourself while balancing it with not being selfish over others thoughts and feelings.We all think, mean and feel but maybe we don't have the same tools for expressing ourselves...but we can agree or disagree with those who dare and who can voice what we all have deep inside. Maybe it is meant to be like this so we don't get lost in to many voices...but speak with one...in unity and harmony. This is an opportunity to do so and help that one voice to reflect US, all of US who are united in the love for...music...for life...That is why I am joining with my voice and hope that more will take the challenge...set yourself free and speak out ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I have to say is that no matter how many 'tots' we have around the same things or around different kind of things the reality is that we are all different so how do you people expect that we can all have one voice??What makes you think Rob that ''deep inside we are all the same''??

    ReplyDelete
  3. You write ''Sorry, classical heads. Its just not that kind of party''...I could at this point stop following your blog because I feel that you hurt my feelings as a true believer in classical music as I wrote on your other post...but I keep on reading what you have to share and I take this opportunity to say why I do so!You also wrote: ''I think everybody has "music" inside. I think so because I feel the "music" that I have inside me and I am one of those people who honestly (and perhaps, naively) believe that deep down, we are all the same'' I feel you here no matter what Johnny B has to say...(:-)!!!!Life is what it is but what will we be without the spirit of being humans with feelings...and it seems that music can bring out these feelings!!!Looking forward to your next post man!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't we all just enjoy the music....it has started looong time ago.I agree...let's enjoy.....let's live!

    ReplyDelete