27 August, 2011

On Air for the very first time

Some people make music for the commerce in it. Others do it for the magic in it... At the risk of stating the obvious, let me say that I think the best music happens when it is heart-felt. When music is pursued simply because it is intrinsically rewarding, thats when I believe music releases its mysterious magic to any one who has a good ear.

Being a shy musician who has made only little effort at getting others to hear my stuff, I have grown to love just making music. Period. I have only 1 fan... the best fan in the world. Thats my girlfriend! She puts up with (she even loves!) hearing the looped part of a song while I work on that part. This will drive most girlfriends crazy.. Not mine! She never complains over how much time I spend making music nor does she even ask me to use headphones.. This way she has become my inspiration and a part of my music creation process.





Long story short... I love this Alicia Keys song called "No One". It is one of those few songs that I really, really, really wanted to make a remix of! I heard Alicia's own original raggae version... I mean It's banging and all that.. But I missed those sweetening elements.. Those of you who like that old school lovers rock flav know exactly what I'm talking about.

So I got to work... Got hold of the acapella and here is the result. Apart from tolerating the noisy process of the remixing, my girl/friend also suggested that I put the finished work on youtube.. just for fun. She insisted. Really insisted.


After chewing on it for a while.. I was like "OK... but then you should make the video for it!". Then I left for work one day and came back to this. My initial reaction was what yours is going to be like.. a hint of cheesiness.. a certain disconnect between story as told by the sound and that suggested by the visual.. but wait a minute.. is there really a disconnect? is it really cheesy? Isn't it more like simple and intentionally childlike ? Anyway, I think she just found a way to transform a beautiful romantic love song into a beautiful universal love song.

And what use is a universal love song if we dont share it with the world? Here it is. Enjoy, think and act!

3 comments:

  1. I don't remember who said it, but I agree with the following ' Every journey begins with the first step'....now keep on going and don't stop!Spread the word of love, harmony and peace...this is what music does to our hearts when we feel it with our soul...it can enrich and even empower!I am also in the process of listening...really listening...and not just hearing the music...of my soul.Keep on inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Blog has a different flavor....I liked the story behind your youtube video...I am just a romantic full but you got my attention!!

    ReplyDelete